Chemeketa Courier

Brown Bag Discussion: Martin Luther King Jr. and his Legacy

By Jonathan Castro Monroy

With MLK’s spirit and Black History Month in sight, Chemeketa instructor Taylor Marrow takes action. Marrow was the guest speaker at the Jan. 25 brown bag luncheon in the Student Life center in Bldg. 2. His topic: Martin Luther King Jr. and His Legacy.
“Every year I participate in the MLK Day celebration, and I felt that a brown bag lecture would be an excellent addition to that work,” Marrow said.
Chemeketa student, Anne King, said: “I learned that the Civil Rights Movement is actually comprised of four stages and started several decades before the 60s. Marrow expounded upon segregation, discrimination, disenfranchisement, and the NAACP and Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy.”
Chemeketa student, Lindsay White, said: “My favorite part of the discussion was when Taylor would include the audience by asking us questions. I felt like I learned more information because I was more involved. I think the audience enjoyed the discussion because they seemed to want to answer Taylor’s questions.”
Hugo Nicholas, a Chemeketa student and youth leader, said he was amazed at how Marrow connected with the students.
“I never had Mr. Marrow for a class, yet I can see that he is one of those teachers that go beyond their salary in order to really make a significant impact on students. I attained a significant amount of information in just the one hour I was there,” he said.
Marrow said, “My objective was to get the audience to develop a clear understanding of Dr. King’s legacy.”
Chemeketa student King said, “I enjoyed the discussion for its refreshing historical context. I believe the audience enjoyed Marrow’s encouragement of a very participation-friendly atmosphere; it was certainly taken advantage of.
“My favorite part of the discussion was when the entire group talked about modern racial issues, such as the colorblind race theory and different reactions to social faux pas. I would like to attend the next discussion.”
Brown bag discussions: students are encouraged to carry their own lunches to the discussions and are held on a regular basis in the Multicultural Center in Bldg. 2.
Marrow said, “The brown bag lecture series at Chemeketa offers students and staff an opportunity to discuss important issues and themes that impact their lives. The brown bags are a way for people to connect with people from different backgrounds.”
Nicholas said, “Chemeketa professors and staff members that go the extra mile to actually educate and make an impact on students should get a salary increase. I would recommend students that are actually seeking education to take advantage of the brown bag discussions. They are free.”