chemeketa students

Chemeketa Scholars applications available now, due March 4-8

By Chemeketa Public Affairs

Chemeketa Scholars, the scholarship that provides two years of full tuition to qualifying high school seniors, is accepting applications March 4-8, 2013.

Chemeketa Scholars has made a great impact on the lives of many community members, including Dylan Smith who, before learning about the Chemeketa Scholars program, doubted he’d be able to attend college.

“I always dreamt about continuing onto college, but it seemed financially impossible.”

Then he heard about the Chemeketa Scholars program. Dylan quickly met with a counselor at Sprague High School to learn more, then applied and was accepted to the first Scholars cohort.

“When I was accepted as a Chemeketa Scholar I was hopeful and relieved” he remembers, “I could see a bright future ahead of me.”

Dylan found that attending Chemeketa helped him ease into life as a successful college student. “I got practice studying for college-level exams, taking notes and improving my organizational skills” he says, “I also learned how to balance school, life and my job in Chemeketa’s tutoring center.”

He graduated from Chemeketa with his AAOT in 2010, then transferred to the University of Oregon. After he received a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology in 2012, Dylan decided to come back to Chemeketa to volunteer as a tutor.

“I feel like I owe a lot to Chemeketa and I wanted to give back.” After a couple months of volunteering, a temporary position became available and Dylan became a part-time tutor and math tutor coordinator for Chemeketa.

While he plans to eventually receive a graduate degree in Psychology, Dylan finds joy being back where his higher education began. “I like where I am, I like my job and being a part of Chemeketa’s close-knit and friendly community. I can see myself here for many years to come.”

For more information on the Chemeketa Scholars program visit scholars.chemeketa.edu, email scholars@chemeketa.edu or call 503.399.5129.

This entry was posted in Community, News, Students. Bookmark the permalink.