chemeketa students

Chemeketa student honored in national essay competition

By Chemeketa Public Affairs

Chemeketa student honored in national essay competitionChemeketa Yamhill Valley student Rachel Shrock-Russell concludes her award-winning essay –

“To everyone else Deer Creek Park was a beautiful county park set in the hills, but to me it was my childhood. It’s where I was free; I learned how to be a true kid of nature. We may have grown up with very little extra money, but with the right imaginations and one amazingly beautiful country park we could have the time of our lives.”

The textbook publisher Pearson awarded Shrock-Russell third place in its national competition for students in developmental writing classes. Her Writing 90 instructor Samuel Snoek-Brown was instrumental to her success. “Doctor Sam urged me,” said Rachel, “and I thought maybe I can go a little further with my writing.”

In an e-mail Snoek-Brown described Rachel as a devoted student, “She holds lofty ideals of what good academics look like for her.”

Shrock-Russell labored through four drafts of her essay before submitting it to the competition. “A lot of it is Dr. Sam’s help,” she said. “He kept advising me to add more detail, ’What did you see there?’ he’d say.”

“My mom, brother Ryan, and I would drive through the hilly country side, singing to Aerosmith, heading to our favorite county park. We usually had our yellow lab Angel in the backseat with us, with her head hanging out of the window. We would drive over the old wooden bridge and turn into the parking area. We would barrel out of our old penny colored Buick, and go racing towards our favorite swimming spot.”

Shrock-Russell has a new adventure in her path. She has been accepted to Ithaca College in New York where she plans to major in psychology with a minor in writing or literature. “It’s a long way from McMinnville, but why not? This is my time, my chance.”

“When I think of my favorite place from when I was a child. It’s a place that is full of adventure, imagination, and new beginnings.”

This entry was posted in News, Students. Bookmark the permalink.