chemeketa students

Early College peer mentor program launched

By Chemeketa Public Affairs

On Wednesday, September 21, High School Partnerships (HSP) held its first Mentor Mingle to kick-off the inaugural year of its student mentor program.

Twelve veteran Early College High School students are volunteering to mentor 30 of their peers transitioning from high school to college classes.

“Our goal is to provide both mentors and mentees with personal and professional development by connecting all Early College students to student services and college life,” said Alejandra Gallegos, High School Partnership department assistant. “We want our students to create a strong bond with Chemeketa as well as support their transition from high school to college culture.”

Throughout the year, mentors will lead activities such as visiting the multicultural
center, getting connected with clubs and organizations and participating in community service activities.

“I want to be a mentor because I feel I can help share with my mentees my mistakes and what I’ve learned from them so they can have an easier path to success,” says student Paula Tamayo.

Abby Hoffar, dean of High School Partnerships, applauded the efforts made by HSP staff and students, declaring the program a prime example of the department’s philosophy of ‘What can we do that best supports our students?’. “The collaboration between our peer mentors and first year students is an opportunity for support and growth for all.”

This entry was posted in Front page, News, Students. Bookmark the permalink.